Wednesday 31 October 2007

Weekend in London Part II


We started our Sunday, the second day in London, with an English breakfast at the YHA Thameside Hostel as early as 7.00 a.m. I was informed that two members of the team had left early in the morning for a trip to Manchester. This means I only have five people now under my care.

Once again, they made a humble request for travelling by bus, instead of tube. I took them boarding on C10 bus, which went straight away to Victoria Station. From there, we took another bus (No. 16) and dropped off at our first stop - the infamous Marble Arch. I let them took some pictures, including picture of British phone booth. I also reminded them to pay extra care of their valuables because there were many stories of tourists (and Malaysians too) who became victims of professional pickpockets.

Then, we proceeded with a strolling along the Oxford Street. We walked and stopped. Stopped and another stopped to check out a couple of stores selling souvenirs and gifts. Being typical Malaysians, they showcased their excellent bargaining skill. Based on my personal (and limited) observations, the more we bargain the more we tend to spend. I compared my past experiences with my mum, aunts and close friends and I do noticed a similar outcome here too!

Guess what, we spent almost two hours there and we had only covered, not even half of the whole length of Oxford Road! I quickly alerted and forced them to stop shopping and we quickly jumped onto a bus (No. 23) to finish this "haunted" road, which without failed has possessed many Malaysians everytime they are here, in this particular street.

We made two more stops. Firstly, at the Piccadily Circus. After been to Tokyo, I really think what I have shown to my "buddies" here is nothing if to compare with the one in Ginza. Next stop was the Traffagar Square. It was very unfortunately for my team that there was not a single dove there! I guess the birds were too afraid with the loud noise from an Indian-themed carnival held there, which I guess to mark the coming of Diwali Festival.

I quickly left for our next destination i.e. the Big Ben. Along the way, I showed them the House of Guards and the Downing Street.

Although I have been here many times, I never stop to admire the aesthetic architecture of Palace of Westminster. While they were busy taking pictures of the Houses of Parliament and the Clock Tower (both are parts of Palace of Westminster), I pointed to another great building -a place where Prince Charles and the late Princess Diana tied the knot - the Westminster Abbey. If I'm not mistaken, it is one of the UNESCO World Heritage Sites.


It was almost 1.30 p.m. and we not even close to half of our list. Once again, I rushed them to the next stop, which is not that far from the Palace of Westminster, i.e. the London Aquarium and the London Eye. Of course we have no time to go into the aquarium or board onto the observation wheel, after a couple of snaps, we walked to the nearest bus stop for another ride to the Tower Bridge (was often mistaken as London Bridge).

That was the final stop for our Part I tour. And it also means makan time! Since they have been to Malaysia Hall last night, so I thought why not I bring them to the Edgware Road. Our initial plan was to go to the London Central Mosque before having our lunch. Since we were short of time, I planned to bring them to Mawar Restaurant (one of Malaysian restaurants in London). Sort of killing two birds with a stone. We can dine as well as pray at the same place.

But to my surprise, as we standing in front of it, the door was locked and there was a sign which said the building is for sale. Oh my God!

We quickly entered a Lebanese restaurant, ordered our food and ate them. At the same time I asked the waiter for a direction to a nearest mosque. He said somewhere in Baker Street which I totally have no idea where it was. Once again, I bothered Tok Din and he advised me to walked to Nahar Cafe, which is about 5-10 minutes walk from Edgware Road.

On our way to Nahar Cafe, we found the Brunei Hall. Since time was running short, I asked one of the Bruneian students whether there is a prayer room in that building. Alhamdulillah, he said we can use the prayer room there. As he was about to show us to the prayer room, we were stopped by one of the officers. Upon noticing that we are not Bruneians, he prohibited us from using the prayer room and asked us to leave the building. Oh my God!

We proceeded with our search for Nahar Cafe but failed. And it was already Maghrib time. After a few minutes of debates between Pak Aji and Mak Aji, we decided to qada' both salats together with jamak Maghrib and Isya salats when we reach home. We walked slowly to Edgware Road and got on a bus to Victoria Station. Kak Nor (my cousin) requested for a short visit to the Hard Rock Cafe to buy something for her little sister.

While waiting for her to make her purchase, I rang Maz to do me a favour. Hehehe, asking her to check coach ticket online and if possible to purchase me one. Alhamdulillah, a few minutes after that she rang me back to say that it was all done and I should receive my m-ticket shortly.

We arrived at the Victoria Station at about 6.00 p.m. and we have about two hours before boarding our coach. The ladies suggested for a free and easy activity, which received full agreement by others.

I headed to the nearest Boots and picked up the latest RealHomes magazine, a couple of chocolate bars, a bottle of water and NIVEA facial scrub for men. After finding myself a strategic place to rest, I started my kill-the-time activity! In between reading and eating, I tried to assess my performance as a tourist guide.

Except the Buckingham Palace, we did cover all places which the group has identified as MUST-VISITED places. To further console myself, my heart whispered me a "scapegoat". Yeah, if it was not raining the whole day today, we might have fare even better. Somehow or rather, I did not feel console at all.

"Thank you very much for coming down all the way from Manchester and showing us around London. Kalau tidak, tak tahu lah macam mana. Jangan kata berjalan-jalan, entah jumpa entah tidak hostel tu. Sekali lagi terima kasih ya." said Kak Nik, representing the group before we departed.

Wearing my big beautiful smile, I replied: "Insya-Allah, kalau tak jumpa di sini lagi, ada umur kita jumpa di Malaysia, ya. Assalamualaikum.

There goes my weekend with two pakciks, a makcik, an abang and two kakaks. What a weekend!

5 comments:

Zetty said...

3 kali makcik ke london, 3 kali jugak la makcik tersilap antara Tower Bridge ngan London Bridge tu haha.

looka80 said...

way to go to you mate! susah taw nak jdk tour-guide itew. u've done great! im impressed. tengah menyimpan for our trip to aussie / nz... hehe. klu ada rejeki and masa yg seswai yek. insya'allah!

Unknown said...

Mak insap jap, uols!!! Berjalan ke mana mana pun sembahaynag mesti tak tinggal, Alhamdulillah!! :)

Ehh ni ada tokoh jadik tourist guide nih..and by the way pehal Marble Arch tuh INFAMOUS katanya..apa yg menyebabkan dia famous sbb benda yang tak "perlu"? **matiker soklan Who wants To Be A Millionaire??? :P

bencoolen80 said...

I am so proud to know that there is a well-known British who is a Muslim. What's an OBE? Is it a title given by the Queen?

ukanera arenaku said...

zetty:
hehehe. you are not alone, I guess.

looka80:
yes, please remind others to start savings now.

lee novotny:
totally agree. I am still wondering what was the function of this arch. okeylah, takde lah grand sangat pun. maybe because it was made of marble?

geli-geli & buas-buas:
you are totally right. similar to those pingats given out by our King and Sultans