Saturday 27 October 2007

Zao Shang Hao!

That is my first Chinese word. And it means good morning. Actually, I do know a couple of Chinese - ni hao ma and wo ai ni. The former means how are you and the latter means I love you.

Huanu Shi and I made a pact. She teaches me one Chinese word a day and I teach her one Malay word a day.

I should have done this long time before when I had the opportunity to learn new languages from my classmates. There were Chinese students, Pakistanis, Kenyan, Mauritian, Nigerian and Algerian. I should have at least, by now know how to offer greetings in those languages. Wow, what an opportunity that I have missed!

I hope this time around I won't repeat the same mistake and hopefully by September next year, I should be able to make a simple conversation in Chinese, Japanese and Spanish. I guess my German textbook needs to continue its hibernation for another unspecified period.

Till, then a productive weekend. Insya-Allah, I will go down to London again to meet my cousin, Kak Noi, who is here (Canterbury) for a short course, organised by our Ministry of Education and the Canterbury Christ Church University. I have sort of promised to bring her around London. Me as a guide? Before you guys start laughing, lets wish me luck first. Adios.


p/s: Happy birthday to my dearest friend, Harizal (Oct 27th).

4 comments:

Jo-Anne said...

haha...happy learning...teach u another word.

Jia You means Gambatte[japanese] a.k.a berusaha[malay] a.k.a keep it up[english]

Gambatte Kudasai:)

Unknown said...

Gambatte is Japanese??? I never knew that!! :) Thx Jo-anne! All this time....

Good on uols trying to know other language.. seize every opportunity hoh since you are among other international students :)

Zetty said...

wo ai ni too haha.

hv fun ronda2 london.

ukanera arenaku said...

thanks, jo-anne for the language lesson. hopefully, i can practise it with u when I return home next year.

thanks, lee for ur advice. i am looking forward to start my series of travel adventure, insya-Allah in mid Dec. will fly to Dublin from Manchester, then to Frankfurt before to London again. then return to Manchester. Already spend 36-37 pound for the flight tickets.

thanks, zetty. it was really tough to handle a ground of matured travellers, even more if they are Malaysians.