Thursday 20 September 2007

What a long day yesterday was!

I started the day as early as 4.00 am for my sahur and guess what I had? Fried chicken (bought from SFC - Southern Fried Chicken) fries, apple, a couple of dates and orange juice. While waiting for my Fajr prayer, I switched on my SufianSharis and once again "testing" the speed of the 10Mbs broadband connection. Oh, thank God... I can straight away watched Dina and Ning Baizura on Youtube without having to wait any longer for those clips to be uploaded (sorry, I can't find the exact word and I know it's not uploading).

I also spotted a couple of close friends on my Gmail account and thank God for whoever created the IM - I'm so glad that I can have a chat with them through Google Chat! Anyone fany a chat with me (hehehe), kindly forward me your Gmail address and Insya-Allah, will buzz you next time when I spot you online.

Since the hall of residence that I live in is not on city campus, but in the Fallowfiled campus, I have to go out early (well, not that early anyway) to catch a bus to my first day with the Faculty. My housemate said the other day that I can walk to the University and it only takes about 20 minutes to get there. But maybe I save it for next summer because now it's quite windy up here.

The first agenda of the day was an informative briefing by Prof. Jeffrey Henderson on Manchester in the Making of the Modern World. Well, I don't want to bore you guys with the details but just to share some interesting points that I picked up from the talk:

1. The University of Manchester as one of the so-called civic universities, was set up by an engineering entrepreneur because the Oxbridge universities (plus University College of London, Durham, etc - I can't remember what they call this group of universities) "ignored" engineering and related subjects and these universities only started to offer engineering degrees slightly after the World War.
2. Civic universities like the University of Manchester was among the first to allow females to study and graduate.
3. University of Liverpool, Leeds and Sheffields used to part of the University of Manchester.

My day continued with a couple more of knowledge sharing sessions which include briefing on course units, coursework, a dedicated session on plagiarism and not forget to mention ice-breaking activity. And it only stopped at 10 past 5.

Since the bank already closed by now (I still have not open a bank account!), I quickly went home to prepare for buka puasa. I got myself strawberry doughnuts, apple, banana, orange juice & cholocate milk shake. After Maghrib, I joined Ana & Christina in another series of talk on fire and safety at the Conference Hall, Owens Park. We straight away raced back to our place after it finished and I give myself an hour for another testing of the broadband before I jumped in my bed.

Wow, what a day!

3 comments:

Zetty said...

hey!!
glad that u have arrived there safely and dah mcm boleh settle down.

All the best!

ukanera arenaku said...

thanks, Etty! Wah, meletup dress kau, kan!!!

Wadi: said...

Hey there,

Welcome to the student's life, back! snap more pictures of Manchester will you :)
It's good to have known that you have settled down easily and gradually.

Cheers
Wadi