Thursday 21 August 2008

My heartfelt condolence to victims of Madrid plane crash

I hardly, if not at all, blog about disasters or accidents. But when I first read about it on the CNN website this evening, my heart stopped for a second. The pictures of the place looked very familiar simply because I've been there. Yes, I've been to the Barajas International Airport in Madrid, Spain.

Then, I saw the name of the airline. Although I flew with Vueling Airline instead, my cousin and her hubby were on Spanair, when we were flying to Barcelona, the last city in our Spain tour last spring.

I know, I know... I'm a bit (a bit? hehehe) overacting here, but when you come to know such terrible news like this, I just can't help to feel saddened, touched and a bit emotional. On top of that, 90 passengers have been officially declared dead and according to a report by CNN+, "26 people taken to hospital are the only survivors, and that two of those survivors are children".

A survivor told a reporter from Spain's ABC newspaper that she and other passengers heard a loud explosion as the plane was taking off.

According to CNN, this is the first fatal accident at the Barajas International Airport since December 1983, when 93 people were killed as two Spanish airliners collided while taxiing for take off.


Oh, my...


p/s: Please pray for my safe flight home next month. Thank God, my adik-adik have arrived at the KLIA safely. And congratulations to Najid and Fendy, two freshly graduated engineer who will be starting their first jobs on 1 September 2008.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Yup...our hearts are with the families during this great sorrow. We will fly to Madrid on Monday next week from Lisbon...hoepfully takdelah delay ke hapa dek kerna accident ni...

looka80 said...

badril - insya'Allah your journey will be a safe one. dont worry k. mmg sedey baca tragedi tuh. 8-(

ukanera arenaku said...

lee: jauh sungguh berjalan2, mesti luas pemandangan, kan...

sham: thanks. how's ur new roommate?