Tuesday 26 August 2008

Manchester PRIDE 2008

I went to the city centre with my classmates last weekend. Yeap, to spend quality time together before each one of us return to our home countries.

It was so packed with people. Do you know why? There was a parade called Manchester PRIDE 2008. According to S, it's a celebration for lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender life. She quickly turned to me and say, "Could we stay for awhile, Mr. Religious?" (Mr Religious, katanya! Agaknya S belum pernah dengar peribahasa alim-alim kucing kot!)

From my limited observation, the event was attended and participated by all walks of life. Whites, non-whites, children as well as grandparents. It seems like a family outing to me.

"I think they shouldn't have brought their kids to this event because it just corrupted their minds," said A, my mate from India.

H from China and S from France, quickly shook their head. According to them, it was a good exposure for them to learn to respect others.

Once again, S tried to drag me into this debate, "What do you think, Hashmyron? (I love the way she pronounced my name. Kedengaran seksi!) Come on... say something. Give us your oriental wisdom!"

"I don't want to sound judgemental, but I can't help to agree with A. There are other more effective ways to educate love and respect to younger generation. Unfortunately, bringing them to witness some of the sex-related acts, like those guys in leather clothes pretending to make love (What do we call this fetish? Lupalah...), to me is not appropriate at all."

From the look on her face, I know I got H on my side now. But, not S.

Or is itbecause the way I was raised that somehow made us, Asians/Malaysians to have less confidence in the true potential of our children. Are we worrying too much or are we not? May be I should post this question to Mush instead.

Anyhow, it was a good first-time experience to witness for myself what a mardi gras is. And I did take a couple of pictures to be shared with my dearest readers out there.



















p/s: I talked to an Englishman yesterday at a bus stop. He said that I have a Chinese accent. Sudahlah sebelum ini, beberapa rakan sekelas panggil "Oriental Man". I'm quite surprised that none have ever said that I'm an Indian. Tak cukup hitam ke?

5 comments:

Mus The Great said...

I think New Orleans' Mardi Gras was much bigger, bolder and grandeur, (that is based on the limited photos available here lah!, hehe)

izal said...

that englishman must be blind...

neither i'm saying you look like indian...

but i'm agree with you...

it was a so-so mardi grass i guess..

Unknown said...

itam ke...

Mohd Jay Ishak said...

alaa..bila nk ada parade mcm tu kt kl?

Harris Shah Abd Hamid said...

satu cara nak suburkan rasa hormat dan sayang di kalangan anak2 ialah dgn membawa mrk ke rumah jagaan anak2 yatim. help them understand that some children have very different life situations. memang tak perlu nak gi parade. nanti keluar banyak soalan yg susah nak dijawab.