Thursday 20 December 2007

Ade Frankfurt!

Today is my final day in this (one of two largest) financial centres of Europe. Alhamdulillah, I managed to cover almost all the interesting places listed on the brochure that I picked up from the hostel. Similar to my experience in Dublin, the weather, once again was a bit harsh on me. On that reason I decided to skip a few attractions in the south of the Main River. Well, I'm not sure which one south and which one is north, but the one that I paid less attention is the one with so many museums in one whole road and so many bars in another whole road.

Basically, there are nothing much in Frankfurt am Main (I was told there is another Frankfurt in the Brandenburg state of Germany; the one that I'm currently visiting is in Hesse). Most of the skycrappers in this city are belonged to the top financial institutions, including the tallest building in Europe (I think this fact is wrong because if I'm not mistaken the tallest building in Europe is in fact in Moscow) which is the Headquarters of the Commerzbank (The Commerzbank Tower). Nevertheless, its height is only one third of the Petronas Twin Towers - the tallest twin towers and used to be the world's tallest inhabited building before it was overtaken by the 101 Taipei in 2004.

Besides the skycrappers, it also houses designer labels along the street of Zeil, such as Chanel, Gucci, Versace and Prada. I'm sure you guys can guess how much time I spent in this street, and rest assured, not even close to my visit to the home (house and museum) of German's greatest poet, Goethe.

At the end of the day, I visited to two sex shops. Well, nothing much because I just spent some time in the gift section. It costs EUR20 for the live show! That is equivalent to slightly more than half of the flight costs for this first part of my Europe Tour. And I really doubt that it is any good compared to the one I had in Bangkok!

While waiting for my coach to the Airport Frankfurt-hann, I visited the sourvenier shops nearby looking for cheap gifts but don't look cheap. During the search, I found a Thai restaurant (well, not a shocking discovery because they are everywhere, just like Chinese, Japanese and Indian restaurants), which is owned by a Arab but he has two Thai cooks and one Thai waitress. I ordered a plate of plain rice, a bowl of seafood tom yam and a fried telur mata kerbau. Yeap, that was what my stomach and throat really need after a "perut-masuk-angin" episode yesterday.

How, what a vacation. An alergic-rashes in Dublin and an upset stomach in Frankfurt, oh, God... I really can't wait to return to England. Don't get me wrong. I had a great two in both cities, it just that I feel safer in the UK when I'm 100% well. At least, I have direct access to my finances as well as a collection of "familiar-which-is-also-mean-reliable" medicines, brought from Malaysia.

Wait a minute... why my watch has different time from the one in this Fun Thai Restaurant? Oh my God... I totally forgot about the an hour time difference between Frankfurt and Manchester. That means the coach will depart in 37 minutes' time from now!!!

Errr... ade Frankfurt.

No comments: