Thursday 3 July 2008

What a sincere admiration!

When I first read her article, my eyes brimming with tears. I guess it's too much of exaggeration, but sincerely, the opening of Nor Azrina Zakaria's tribute to Adflin Shauki reminds me of those days when a couple of my friends and I were too obssessed to open our pidatos with beautiful madahs. Well, some might not like it but on the other hand, I personally think this is part of the beauty of Malay communication art, which we don't find in any English language (if not all other languages) debate competition.

In my opinion, Nor Azrina has picked a suitable subject too. A candidate with many talents, both polished and raw aptitudes. Although I've yet to impress with any of his award winning films, I really fancy his song writing skill, which hardly mentioned or discussed in the printed media. Anyhow, I totally agree with the author that Adflin Shauki has a potential to be one of the influential seniman of his generation.

Whilst Nor Azrina might have cleverly selected the prominent aspect of her subject, I personally think she was a bit stingy in illustrating how influential Adflin Shauki is to Malaysians. I was hoping that she would have, at least, put forward her view on Adflin Shauki's controversial remark on stewardess or his stance on producing films that only sell.

In summary, the essay on the FFM 2004 Most Promising Director is indeed a good reading. The author is smart enough not to go overboard with her points. Nevertheless, you too need to be more careful when using any information obtained from the Internet so that the readers don't question your credibility. Or is it an unintentional typo?

No comments: