Tuesday 8 July 2008

Smart, creative, interesting... but efficient? Hmmm...

I've always expected that Sudirman Haji Arshad's name will always pops up whenever this subject being discussed. And we all know that he worths it! He was full of talents, dedicated, smart and loved by all Malaysians.

We really know him very much. And because of this fact, it is a big challenge for a participant to attempt a subject that is SO well-known as him and Datuk Siti Nurhaliza Taruddin.

When I first read the article by Wadi on Asian's Number 1 Entertainer, I was pleased and excited to find out that he'd attempted it differently - more to creative writing, instead of semi-academic writing like other contestants. In this regard, Wee, one and other contestants, zero.

Although I've read the essay thrice, I still managed to draw a couple of genuine small laughs on my fourth reading. The aura of Sudirman Haji Arshad was cleverly highlighted and his influence on Wee and his mother, aunt, uncles and friends' lives immediately pictured in our minds, or at least my own mind, because its familiarity and relatability to our own.

My only concern is the length of this essay may pinpoint to Wee's minor weakness. As much as I enjoyed reading it, I can't help not to use my red pen to strike out words and sentences which I think a bit melewah. It would be more efficient and effective, if Wadi not too diverted from his main subject. I personally think it is even better if he could just teased his readers by offering less and left them wanting for more. In addition, the article is slightly over-crowded with slightly too many characters. At the end of it, you can hardly remember most of them and what a pity, especially when some of the characters have some potential.

Anyway, As Wee Remembered; Era of Enigma is definitely a well-thought and nicely written article. It depicts Wadi's commendable creative writing skill and sense of humour, which I hardly know until I read this piece. He's smart and creative and now he proves to me that he's funny too, at least in his writing. You know what, Wadi... you yourself is an enigma, too.

2 comments:

izal said...

gud job wadi....

its indeed a creative one!

the judge loves it so much...

need i say more?

Wadi: said...

Dear Hasmiron and colleagues,

I am so pleased that Hasmiron's commentary perspective is very much edgy. It also reflects how could I improve my creative writing skills and divulge into the character expansion within a storyline, which indeed has potentials.

I would find Hasmiron has appraised and reviewed my article like the eagle's eyes. Much of it would be taken as my personal guidance to improve my narration and perspective.

Ideally, Hasmiron is the kind of personality that I think, will benefit apsiring bloggers and writers to achieve their dreams. Not to take this as an influential plot to a decision making, but rather, a sincere expression note that build everyone's charisma and skills in writing.

As creative writing is something new for me (which I had learnt when I was in the UK), I think, it has mirrored my capability and enthusiasm to write more, with endless passion.

Thanks Hasmiron for the notes. Will take it as useful insights and guidance.

Cheers
Wadi