Monday 4 February 2008

Birthday, Legacy & Tate

I just came back from my friend's place where I spent my weekend with him and his housemates and the wife of one of his housemate. Well, the prime reason for the get together was to celebrate his BIG birthday last Friday. Yes, he just joined the club, the same club that Etty, Hisyam, Fezal, Mus, Rikke, Izal, Rina and I are currently in. Welcome aboard, bro!

Actually, I don't want to talk about birthday party because it reminds me of how inconsistent I am when it comes to birthday celebration. Although I enjoy throwing birthday parties for my friends, but when it comes to my own, I just dislike the idea of celebrating my birthday. I will try my very best not to be around my family and friends on my birthday so that I won't be getting any surprises on the said day. Nevertheless, I appreciate nice suprises on any other days. Hehehe.

It was easy to run away during my school and college days because my birthday were always during the term breaks or on weekends. But it's not the case anymore. My strategy has changed since I started working. I make sure I will be on leave on my birthday week. Not only that, I will go out from Kuala Lumpur to some places to "hide" from family and friends.

My lame excuse for the past six years is "to be alone and silently remember my late grandpa, Cikgu Jaafar, on this momentous Teacher's Day". I guess now you know the conundrum of I traveling to places in the month of May, alone, annually.

However, this weekend might have changed everything. And I don't think it is worth running away from mine after this.

My friend and I had a meaningful conversation about birthday and life after the dinner. No doubt that we might have spending quality time with family and friends, out of our busy schedule on, let say, holidays or festive seasons. But, directional-wise, all of that are beyond personal level; it could be family or society institution levels.

Birthday is all about me or you, directly. What and how have I or you become the way I am or you are, now. Family and friends are the best keeper of my or yours legacy, aren't they?

While talking about my bank of stories (my collection of stories which I dream might be worth telling to the "world" in various forms or mediums), my friend said this to me, "why don't you write about my story instead?"

"No offence... I don't think I know you too well to write about you."
"In that case, you have to come and celebrate my birthday more often. I see no one but you who I can trust to write a good piece for my memoir"

As I looked into his eyes, he said, "If, and only if, I become the PM."

I'm sure birthday celebration won't be so scary after this. I had great weekend and I'm sure others too. We had delicious dinner, fulfilled Ina's hasrat to see the works of John Singer Sargent at the Tate Britain and of course the pleasure of viewing a film from Germany for our World Cinema agenda.


Happy birthday, Joe (and it is Nora's too). Thank you very, very much for the invitation.

7 comments:

Jie said...

Hi,

Birthday celebration is the time when we show our heartfelt love and passion to our dear... I love to see a bright smile on their face on the very special day.

Nice blog here!

looka80 said...

i love this entry. this year no more running-away k.

Unknown said...

Thx for the call masa kat London at the weekend. Sayang tak bertemu kan? takpelah, uols pun bz with your friends :)

I love birthdays...nak nak kalau ada party...merries, you!

Mus The Great said...

for me birthday is love and hate relationship..but now i hate it!..uhuk!

izal said...

Happy burstday joe...may u live long & hv wonderful days ahead..

fmac said...

dude...u shud cherish ur birthdays..no matter wat age that is. to me .. a birthday is like a celebration of the whole past one year...the guds and the bads...n its as if u are given another chance by god to njoy life.

nway..happy birthday!

Zetty said...

which club is that? i-am-always-and-forever-25-yo club?

Heheh.