Bank Negara Malaysia would like to caution members of the public of the phishing attempts by fraudsters using Bank Negara Malaysia's name to deceive members of the public in disclosing their personal banking details. The modus operandi of the fraudsters to deceive the victims is as follows:
- Intended victims receive emails purportedly from Bank Negara Malaysia informing them that Bank Negara Malaysia is now collecting personal banking information to update its database. They will be prompted to either click on a link or reply to the email directly.
- Once the person clicks on the link provided in the email, they would then be directed to a fake website requesting disclosure of personal financial details such as credit or debit cards details including card code verification (CCV) or other personal identification numbers (PIN).
Bank Negara Malaysia would like to advise members of the public to take the following preventive measures:-
- Use web browsers that are up-to-date with built-in phishing filters.
- DO NOT trust emails, calls or SMS claiming cash wins or refunds and requesting for personal banking information.
- Contact your respective banks or contact the Associations of Banks in Malaysia (ABM) toll-free service called ABMConnect at 1-300-88-9980 when in doubt of the email, SMS or calls.
Members of the public can contact or visit:
BNMTELELINK (Customer Contact Centre)
Fax: (03)2174 1515
To submit enquiries or complaints, type 15888 BNM TANYA [your enquiry/complaint]
BNMLINK (Walk-in Customer Service Centre)
Block D, Bank Negara Malaysia
Jalan Dato' Onn50480 Kuala Lumpur
Business hours: Monday - Friday, 9:00 am - 5:00 pm)
Or Visit BNMLINK branches in Bank Negara Malaysia Johor Bahru, Penang, Kuala Terengganu, Kota Kinabalu and Kuching or Call ABMConnect (Hotline to Association of Banks in Malaysia) Tel: 1-300-88-9980