Thursday 20 March 2008

Singapura, Singapore!

I know I'd promised to update my fieldtrip on a daily basis, but unfortunately my itinerary was just too packed! We've lectures and talks from 9 to 5, and it took us awhile to get to the city centre since the university is NOT connected to the MRT line. The nearest MRT station is Boon Lay, which is a few kilometres away. By the time I returned to where we stay, it's already midnight and I was too tired to sit in front of my laptop. Once again, sorry!

Nevertheless, here is the summary of my Singapore fieldtrip.

Day 01 (17 March 2008)

We had good lectures on Singaporean economy and their success stories given by the Permenant Secretary to the Economic Development Board and another two top academicians from the National University of Singapore.

In summary, despite of those obvious advantages, Singapore does have several inherited disadvantages:

  • few natural resources
  • small domestic market
  • heavy dependence on trade
  • dependence on foreigners
  • price taker in international markets
  • impotence of traditional monetary & fiscal policies
  • vulnerability to external shocks
However, the Singaporean government, so far, has put in place an unorthodox demand management and pragmatic policies such as growing second and third wings.


Lunch @Mayflower Restaurant


Talk on multiculturalism by Dr. Norman Vasu




Jalan-jalan in Ochard Road



Jalan-Jalan to Night Safari












At night, I led a group of 20 students on a challenging trip to the city centre. Why I said challenging is because we never short of dramas. From taking a bus to buying MRT ticket, we distruped the efficiency of Singaporean public transport!

Thank God, our big group was then divided into a few smaller groups and this time I led a group of Chinese students strolling along the infamous Orchard Road.

At exactly 8pm, my six Chinese friends and I were joined by 10 more students at in front of Hyatt, to take a bus to the Night Safari. To whoever who have been to a safari, Night Safari in Singapore is not as impressive as other safaris elsewhere, especially in terms of size. Nevertheless, this safari is professionally run and its marketing arm has successfully created a considerable brand. I guess this is another area that Tourism Malaysia could learn from their counterpart.

5 comments:

eddyjames said...

have fun aron!enjoy ur stay there and gud luck!

Brecht said...

i am glad u got the chance to visit the night safari, its one of singapore's best tourist attractions! aah your photos make me yearn for home = ( argh!!! well, hv fun Badril and i look forward to more stories. MUSH

sare @ syah said...

haron, ada binatang ke kat night safari tu? aku tak nampak pun...hehe

izal said...

agree with me or not...spore is soooo damn clean right?

ukanera arenaku said...

mohd effendy & mush:
thanks

sare_reyes:
lots of animal, but i'm clueless as why i didn't take any of them

izal:
yeap, almost everywhere is clean except a few places like Little India and Chinatown