Saturday 1 March 2008

Hanya Di Mercu

I don't know what's going on but I was shocked to find out that there was no coverage about the finale of the One In A Million 2 by Joe Lee on his blog. Well, I know it's his blog and it is his sole right to write whatever he likes on his blog. It is just weird for me that a well-versed entertainment journalist like him opted to ignore one of the better singing competitions in Malaysia. Unless, there is something going on which escaped from my limited observation of local music industry.

Or he might too busy with the more glamorous, Akademi Fantasia 6. And, I was also told by a friend of mine, there is no coverage from Vernon too. Hmmm...



I personally think that last night finale had the best top 2 finalists, after the legendary top 2 - Jac and Dina, in so many ways. And I hope it's not too much to say that it was a fight between better vocal and attractive package. Thank God, the one with better vocal won the competition at last! To me, 8TV almost lost its credibility after two mediocre contestants won its last two competitions - Malaysian Idol 2 and OIAM. Hello, Daniel! Hola, Suki! Where are you now?



It was a pity that Sarah was voted off at the beginnng of the show and I guess it would be more interesting to see Ayu competes with Sarah rather than Shila. No offence to you, Shila because I really think you're a promising singer, it is just that you lack of originality and like what Paul said before, it is a bit difficult to take you seriously.

While I really, really like Sarah's rendition of Fantasia Bulan Madu, I was not that impressive with the new single specially composed for her by Audi Mok. I don't know, was it because the song or her performance or the song is the still new, and it requires more time to grow in me. I hope it is the latter.

On the other hand, I like both compositions by Aubrey Suwito and I believe both will do well in the local Pop charts. I tried to download Ayu's single on Bluehyppo, but unfortunately I can't find it on the said website as per Awal's announcement last night. Apa ni, Awal! Hehehe.

A snapshot of last night performance:

In the first round, Ayu sang the song picked by the judges i.e. Samudera with full of emotion. Vocally, it was better than her previous performance, if I'm not mistaken in top 12, however, her high note was still raw and rough to me. Shila on the other hand, sang the Spanish song which impressed us all in the top 4 episode, only this time it didn't do the same wonder as it did before. I don't know, may be because it was exactly the same as the previous one which might not be suitable on a bigger stage.
Verdict: Ayu 1 - Shila 0

In the second round, I was so touched with Ayu's rendition of Ceritera Cinta (a duet by Jac and Rio) and I really, really think that performance is much better than the previous one in top 8. It showcased her range effectively and again, she connected with the audience with an emotional singing. Shila, however, was a bit struggled with the new single composed by Aubrey. It turned out to be a dragging song.
Verdict: Ayu 2 - Shila 0

It's Ayu's time to showcase the new song composed by Aubrey for her in the third round. Although she started quite well, similar to Shila, she was a bit struggled too. Shila decided to finish the night with a creative medley of Stuck and Ops... I Did It Again. The performance was very entertaining and showed the real Shila is. However, it also proved one of her disadvantages, which lacks of originality.
Verdict: Ayu 3 - Shila 1

Congratulations to Ayu and welcome to the Malaysian music scene. Yes, Syafinaz... Malaysians are ready for new talents like Ayu.


Note: Pictures taken from gua.com.my and oneinamillion.bluehyppo.com

4 comments:

looka80 said...

i didnt watch OIM, was on my way to JB that nite. thanks for the snapshot review. congrats to Ayu. the firt time i heard her singing 'Samudara', i knew that she'd win OIM-2. i was right... huhu.

Kay@Driyz said...

err...i tot shila was great tat night... the spanish song did awe me for the second time but not as much as the first ones since its totally the same...BUT the she sang i shud say clean....

Her single was GREAT!!! i like it very much....

Third song...well....anything catchy is fine with me... hehehhe....

ok.....i know im a bot pro-Shila... hmmm... tah lah.... im sad she didnt win...and wasnt it Paul is a bit one-sided...isnt obvious or its just me.....

ukanera arenaku said...

looka80:
but her talent still unpolished. raw. she has lot of things to learn.

kay:
shila, too, has lots of potential. go to imeem in case u want to listen the studio version.

izal said...

i like ayu since day 1...congratulations to her and she really deserves it...