Wednesday 21 May 2008

Hola Alhambra!

Thank God, Nurul, Wan and I have safely arrived in Granada at about 6.10 pm. We took a coach from Cordoba since the earliest train to Granada was at 7.07 pm and will be arriving around 9.37 pm.

We started our day today in Cordoba by entering the infamous the Mezquita de Cordoba. We were there yesterday, but unfortunately it had closed 30 minutes earlier than its official closing time. One thing that I noticed from my visit to Mezquita de Cordoba also known as Mezquita-Catedral is that the old Christians were trying very hard to cover up the identity of masjid al-jama when they converted it into a church, to the extent that all of their additions looked very out of place and changed the symmetric of the entire building. Based on the DVD presentation at the tourist information centre, just opposite the Mezquita de Cordoba, Muslims, Christians and Jews were living in peace during the Umayyad Caliphate.

Later, we went to see another remain of the Umayyad Caliphate in Andalusia i.e. Medina al-Zahra. It's about 10 km from the Mezquita de Cordoba and there's a tour package offered by the Tourism Ministry to transport the tourists to Medina al-Zahra. However, this place is almost ruined now.

I also went to the Arabic Bath and other monuments, but I personally think Cordoba is none other than these two important heritage sites - Mezquita de Cordoba and Medina al-Zahra.

The hostel that we stayed in Cordoba is strategically located, very clean and well decorated. Unfortunately, I'd problem accessing its wireless. And when I arrived at my hostel in Granada, again good location, I was informed that there is no internet connection in my room. However, they provide free internet using their one PC in the hallway! But, don't get too excited guys, because there's no way I can't upload pictures using this PC. Gempar!!!

I guess you have to wait until I arrive in Barcelona. Until then, let me return to my room for a good rest before starting my journey to experience the wonder of Alhambra tomorrow morning.

Adios...

No comments: